To have in the house by 36 weeks
Efficiently and easily order your Heirloom Midwifery custom birth kit by visiting my favorite Texas birth supply shop, In His Hands Birth Supply. This is the basic birth kit and you’ll find a list of items that are included in the kit. If you decide to gather the supplies yourself use this as a checklist. There is a list of optional and recommended items as well. Carefully consider the optional items as most are necessary although you may already have some of them on hand.
- For example, you will need a plastic mattress protector and may already have this at home or may wish to use a plastic shower curtain.
- If you are renting the mini birth pool from me, you’ll need the pool liner, the hose and possibly the faucet adaptor. You will need a thermometer.
The cost for the main kit is approximately $115 (not including the optional items). If there are items listed in the kit that you already have or plan to purchase somewhere else, just ask for the item(s) to be omitted in the memo line.
Additionally, you will need to collect the following items:
Please sort and store the items in clean brown grocery bags. Label the bags and store in a clean, dry place.
Bag #1 Sheets
Two sets of clean sheets, one set for laboring/birthing on and one set for climbing into with your new baby.
Around 37-40 weeks, please prepare your bed as follows:
Make your bed in your usual manner with clean mattress pad, fitted sheet and flat sheet. Next, apply the plastic mattress protector or plastic shower curtain atop the clean sheets. Then, apply another clean fitted sheet and make the bed normally with top sheet, blankets, quilt, etc. If necessary, change the top sheets as desired throughout the rest of your pregnancy, leaving the clean bottom layer of sheets (under the plastic mattress protector) on the bed. The bottom layer of sheets will become your nice and clean post partum bed and your mattress will be protected in case your water breaks in bed. If you find it uncomfortable to sleep on the plastic liner under your sheet, add another mattress pad or a cotton blanket between the plastic and the sheet.
Bag #2 Towels
- 10 old bath towels
- 10 old washcloths
Bag #3 Baby Supplies
- 6 receiving blankets
- Baby wipes
- Socks, hats, gown, onsie
- Large mixing bowl for midwife instruments
- Large pot or kettle for boiling herbs
- Quart size or larger glass jars with lids or juice pitchers for sitz bath tea and
- drinking tea
- ice cube tray (for placenta freezing)
- Additional Depends pads (you may order more from your birth kit, just mention in memo)
- A place for the midwives to rest
- A kitchen full of your favorite foods and snacks, coffee and green tea (for midwives to share too!)